The first plenary speaker this morning was Ken Blanchard, founder of Lead Like Jesus. He shared his story of coming to faith as a leadership consultant and author, when he learned “everything I had taught and written about leadership, Jesus already did.” He described these stages of leadership development, with stories of Jesus forming his disciples in this way:
- Enthusiastic beginner
- Disillusioned learner
- Capable but cautious contributor
- Self-reliant achiever
A few other soundbites:
- Jesus wants to give us a heart attack
- Who would have put their money on a Jewish rabbi and his 12 inexperienced followers?
- Servant first, leader second
- Jesus first, others second, you third
- If you mention Jesus, he does all the marketing/work
- Eternal life as not real attractive to those whose lives aren’t working right now.
- 5 habits of leading like Jesus
- Study of scripture
- Small vulnerability group
- Remember God’s love
- Go to an ego-anonymous meeting and get over it.